A few staples I can not live with out.
From top left to right:
- Ground Flax Seed
- Store in freezer or refrigerator
- Agave Nectar
- A little goes a long way so start with less, you can always add more.
- Agave comes in other flavors too. Vanilla, hazelnut and Irish cream.
- Not instant
- Steal cut is best but can be chewy so you may want to incorporate this slowly if you're not use to steal cut.
- Greek yogurt
- I buy Chobani non-fat. Others like the Fage' brand, either way Greek is great!
- Use agave to sweeten your oatmeal along with fresh or frozen berries.
- I don't like to eat the Greek non-fat plain yogurt on it's own. I like to doctor mine up and make it my own fresh mix by, once again, adding fresh berries and agave.
- Adding 2 T of ground flax seed to morning oatmeal or yogurt is a great way to add wonderful health benefits to your diet such as:
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids, "good" fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. Each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s.
- Lignans, which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75- 800 times more lignans than other plant foods
- Fiber. Flaxseed contains both the soluble and insoluble types.
- For more info on ground flax seed go to http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed