Banana bread! Who doesn't love this delicious, warm comfort food that feels so homey? I know I do and it's been a very long time since I made a loaf. So, yesterday my daughter and I were on a mission to use as many of the over ripe, frozen bananas we had waiting in the freezer for just this occasion. I found three recipes that were different enough from each other and sounded good. I then went and modified each a bit here and there. I will post my modifications at the end of each recipe.
Upper Left: Protein Banana Bread. Upper Right: Traditional Banana Bread from Better Homes and Garden Cookbook (modified). Front Center: Oatmeal Banana Bread.
The first recipe, protein banana bread, was found on the Eat Clean Diet website!
#1 Protein Banana Bread
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Stevia or sweetener of your choice
- 3 scoops vanilla whey protein powder *
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites*
- 1 cup mashed banana (2-3 small bananas)
- 1/4 cup water*
- 3.9 oz applesauce (unsweetened, natural)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
*My modifications: I used chocolate protein powder, that's what I had on hand & I used one whole egg instead of two egg whites, I used Almond milk instead of water.
Step 1: Preheat Oven to 350
Step 2: Mix all ingredients together.
Step 3: Pour into a greased 8"x4" pan.
Step 4: Bake for 40 minutes or until a tooth pick can be stabbed into the middle of the loaf and pulls out clean with no dough sticking to it.
(I got 14 pieces): Cals: 65, Fat: 1.6 g, Carbs: 6.2 g, Fiber: 1 g, Sugar: 2.5 g, Protein: 8 g I used a Whey Isolate Protein - zero fat & sugar, 1 carb & 30 grams of protein per scoop.
*My modifications: I used chocolate protein powder, that's what I had on hand & I use one whole egg instead of two egg whites!
#2 Traditional Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 mashed, ripe bananas
- 2/3 cup sugar*
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts*My modifications: I used whole wheat flour & brown sugar.
- Oil the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and set aside.
- In another bowl combine egg, bananas, sugar, cooking oil. Add egg mixture all at once to dry mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in nuts if desired.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven 50-55 minutes or till a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and cool on rack.
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories 157.4
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 11.6 mg
- Sodium 76.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 2.4 g
- #3 Banana Oatmeal Bread