This is a great summer recipe. Using the freshest ingredients that summer has to offer, this dish is fresh, light, clean, whole and full of nothing but pure goodness.
- 1lb tomatoes, chopped
- 1 med or half a large red onion, diced (place the diced onion in a strainer in ice water for a few minutes to take the harsh bite out of the onion...good raw onion trick)
- 6-12 green olives, chopped (We like more olives)
- 2-4tsp capers (found in the condiment isle in a small jar)
- 2-4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped (mine does not have parsley in it, I prefer mine with out but it does add nice color)
- 2-4 T red wine vinegar (depending on how much zip you want. Start off with 2 and add more if you'd like)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Fresh Basil or Oregano to taste (some people prefer basil, others prefer oregano)
Pour over warm or chilled (rinsed with cool water or over refrigerated leftovers) whole grain pasta. Add cubed fresh mozzarella cheese and or sprinkle fresh grated Parmesan cheese.